Keep the Fossil Fuels in the Ground!
In our Actions, we work along with other groups taking on fossil fuels – be it extraction, infrastructure, or continued use in any form. Humans have already burnt enough fossil fuels to change the average global temperature over 1C since the dawn of the Industrial Era. Within a decade or two, at present usage rates, we will burn through the remaining budget to have any chance of keeping temperature change to less than 2C. Critically, there is much more fossil fuel known to exist than the carbon budget allows. And industries and governments (now including the USA under President Trump) are intent on converting all those reserves to cash – to profit.
Hence the need to focus: “Keep It In The Ground!”
In New Jersey, the projects and operations we are concerned about and the groups we ally with include:
- Oil Trains (Coalition to Ban Unsafe Oil Trains)
- Pilgrim Pipelines (Coalition Against the Pilgrim Pipeline, NJ and NY)
- We have also stood (and sat-in) in solidarity with the Standing Rock Sioux against the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- We were also allied with other groups to sink the Port Ambrose LNG port in the New York Bight off the shore of New Jersey.
Transition to a Renewable Energy Economy Now!
We have advocated for stronger renewable portfolio standards before the NJ Board of Public Utilities.
We are Active in Campaigns in both NYS and NJ!
- NYS: See the specific page in the “Our Campaigns” menu;
- NJ: See the specific page in the “Our Campaigns” menu (pending).
Growing Our Membership and Impact!