RISE ARTS WITH DAVID & THE PEACE POETS AT THE BUGFARM IN THE OILFIELD
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 3-9 PM AT THE BUGFARM IN THE OILFIELD, 108 ORCHARD DR, VENTURA
In this 12 minute video reknowned artivist David Solnit explains why art helps the climate movement and how he works with groups to tell their stories with art: https://www.stencilarchive.org/node/1632
VENTURA RISE ARTS PROGRAM
3-5 pm RISE ARTS training and production of signs and banners with David Solnit on tour (all materials provided!)
5 pm David will teach us how to make a street mural to bring to San Francisco for the big March on September 8
Bring some snack of supper supper, OR, bring something to share for potluck buffet with your plate and fork; we’ll at least have beans, rice, & homemade kombucha and lemonade for all.
7:30-9 pm The Peace Poets on tour for RISE ARTS will do an outdoor concert preparing us with songs and chants about rising for climate, jobs and justice.
YOU CAN HELP THE RISE FOR CLIMATE CAMPAIGN
- RSVP and SHARE at the FACEBOOK page: ART BUILDS FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE AND A BETTER WORLD
- BRING FRIENDS!
- VOLUNTEER AT THE RISE ARTS EVENT: We need help directing people to parking, greeting and explaining what’s happening where on the property, maintaining the refreshment room, hanging out with The Peace Poets, helping David with the sign making.
- BUY YOUR TICKET ON CHARTER BUS TO SAN FRANCISCO HERE: Sliding scale round trip tickets from $20 to $100.
- VOLUNTEER FOR THE BUS RIDE by email to Bus Captain Amber Bassett at [email protected]
- Be part of the Ventura Rise Arts Street Mural Team. Be trained with the team how to literally hit the ground with chalk to layout a design that tells our story.
The purpose of the RISE ARTS CALIFORNIA TOUR is to mobilize for the historic Rise for Climate Jobs and Justice March in SF. Stopping Ventura on 8/25 and in Isla Vista on 8/26 touring artivists will lead sign, flag and banner-making (all materials provided) and how to plan, coordinate, and paint a street mural in preparation for helping paint the world’s largest street mural in SF on 9/8. Touring with long-time artivist from the Bay Area David Solnit are The Peace Poets, the foremost grassroots movement song group from the Bronx, NY, with roots in the immigrant rights movement, sharing and teaching their mix of singing, hip hop, and spoken word for a better world.
If you can’t make the Art-Maker Event, here is a Rise Arts Toolkit with design ideas for DIY signs and flags for YOU to bring to San Francisco to March for Climate Jobs and Justice on Sept 8. https://riseforclimate.org/rise-art/
The Ventura street mural training will be in The Bugfarm parking lot next to the oil well just across the bike trail. The Peace Poets will perform a little later in the driveway down from where the mural layout activity. Parking is therefore limited near The Bugfarm.
Here’s David painting a street mural with friends.