“Do your little bit of good where you are;
it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”
– Desmond Tutu
The main culprit of climate change is fossil fuels. Divesting from the fossil fuel industry takes away its social license to operate. And reinvesting those funds in renewable energy furthers progress toward a safer climate and a sustainable future.
Become part of the solution: join the growing number of individuals across 76 countries who have pulled their money out of oil, gas, and coal companies.
Start with the resources below and consult a qualified financial advisor.
Fossil Free Funds
– Search for mutual funds from your investment portfolio to see if they are fossil free (FossilFreeFunds.org)
As You Sow
– A non-profit leader in shareholder advocacy, promoting environmental and social corporate responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and innovative legal strategies.
“At last, divestment is hitting the fossil fuel industry where it hurts”
– 12/16/2018 Op-Ed Article by 350.org founder Bill McKibben re: trillions of dollars of investments are being taken out of carbon-intensive companies (The Guardian)
“Investment Funds Worth Trillions Are Dropping Fossil Fuel Stocks”
– Article re: ongoing increase in fossil fuel divestment by fund managers and investors (New York Times)
How to Divest/Invest
– In-depth divestment guides for organizations and individuals (DivestInvest)
Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment
– Financial advisor look-up, mutual fund / ETF performance charts, a free online course for individual investors on the basics of sustainable investing, and more (USSIF)
‘Fossil Fuel Free Investing’ by Pekin Hardy Strauss / Appleseed Capital
At our July 2020 Monthly Meeting, our friends from Pekin Hardy Strauss / Appleseed Capital (a Chicago-based Certified B Corporation focused on Sustainable Investing), provided a presentation on the current state of fossil-fuel-free investing.
To learn more, watch the recording and download the presentation slide deck from the meeting.
Pekin Hardy Strauss is also offering a complimentary divestment assessment to members and friends of 350 Chicago. This assessment will evaluate someone’s current investment portfolio’s exposure to fossil fuel investments and offer up some initial recommendations to align their portfolio with their values.
350 Chicago – Personal Divestment Presentation Series
Slideshow from July 14, 2018 – ‘Intro to Personal Divestment’
Slideshow from October 10, 2018 – ‘Going Fossil Fuel Free with Your Invesments’
Slideshow from May 3, 2020 – ‘Better Personal Banking and Credit Cards’
(350 Chicago is not affiliated with the investment industry and cannot provide direct financial advice. Always research your investment options carefully and work with a qualified financial advisor.)