We are the Canberra arm of 350.org, a global movement which is acting to halt the climate crisis. We join with other environmental groups in online campaigns and public actions with the twin aims of keeping fossil fuels in the ground and supporting a transition to a cleaner and fairer economy.
The number 350 means climate safety: to preserve a livable planet, and to protect our own and future generations from dangerous climate change, scientists tell us that we must reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere from its current level of 407 parts per million to below 350. But 350 is more than a number – it’s a symbol of where we need to head as a planet.
350 Canberra is powered by volunteers, with folks from all walks of life taking part in our local climate campaigns. We support movements that are standing up to the fossil fuel industry on the frontline — and are connecting the local with the global climate movement.
Our volunteers have:
- joined blockades of coal ports and major new coal mines
- lobbied governments (including the ACT Government), universities and other bodies to withdraw their investments from companies that deal in fossil fuels – to “divest”
- campaigned against fossil fuel sponsorships (to Questacon, for example)
- organised rallies to show public concern about the lack of serious climate action in Australia
- contributed to submissions to major Government or Parliamentary inquiries that relate to climate change
- during the 2016 ACT election, lobbied for continuation of ACT’s strong climate policies
- joined in ACT Government consultations on how the ACT will achieve its target of Zero Net Emissions by 2050 at the latest, and preferably earlier.
We are always excited to welcome new volunteers — get involved today.