Look at what’s new: 350.org South Florida T-Shirts! Here in South Florida, sea level rise is no joke. Show your commitment and help support 350.org in South Florida by ordering yours today. Only $15 + $2.50 for the postage. Just send an email to 350SouthFlorida@gmail.com with your name, shipping address, how many and what size. Then […]More...
Quick History: Our grassroots, all volunteer group began with a retreat in the summer of 2013,and we celebrated one year of existence as “350 South Florida” in August 2014. We grew from about 20 to 400 members, incorporated with the state of Florida, and saw the climate change debate in Florida start to turn in our favor.
350 South Florida DID 2014
- Kickstart Retreat: annual planning, survey, & election, at Jim’s house
- Miami Rises Vigil: against Keystone XL Pipeline, by downtown’s State Department office, on Biscayne Boulevard
- Shored Up movie: ECOMB’s Cinema Green, Miami Beach
- Little River Clean-up: El Portal
- EPA Hearing on Oil Drilling Wastewater, Naples
- Keystone XL Pipeline Rally, Obama visits Pinecrest
- Native Plant Day, North Miami’s Enchanted Forest
- Miami Riverday, Miami River, downtown
- Earth Day Rally, outside Sea Level Rise Hearing by Sen. Bill Nelson, Miami Beach
- Climate Rally by CLEO, Pinecrest
- Rally on Keystone XL Pipeline vote, outside office of Sen. Bill Nelson, Coral Gables
- Hands Across the Sand, beaches of South Florida
- Wine, Cheese and Climate Change, Years of Living Dangerously movie, Plantation
- Michael Stock show previews benefit, WLRN radio, 91.3 FM
- Live Music Benefit, first fundraiser, on Aug. 17, at Luna Star Cafe, North Miami
- Co-sponsored movies, with ECOMB’s Cinema Green, Miami Beach
- Election of Executive Committee
- 1-year anniversary of 350 South Florida!
- Disruption movie, North Miami Beach
- People’s Climate March, in NYC & Miami
- SE Florida Regional Climate Leadership Summit, Miami Beach Convention Center
- Rally at Governors’ Debate, Broward College, Davie
- Age of Aquarius FIU student group, South Miami
- FIU event for GLADES student group, Miami main campus
- Everyday Green Expo, Quiet Waters Park, Broward County
Letters Sent and Media Hits
- Bill Neson, Re: deny Keystone XL permit
- Signatory, Ban Fracking Now in Florida
- EPA, Re: Class II wastewater injection well permit
- “At a rare field hearing, U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson calls Miami Beach ground zero for sea level rise,” Miami Herald, April 22, 2014
- “Speak with Your Feet,” Biscayne Times, August 2014
Status of The Big Issues
- Global Warming: Recent months have been the hottest on record, and the year might also set a new global warmth mark. Most every indicator of climate change is accelerating, meaning that predictions of future chaos are coming sooner than we thought.
- Sea Level Rise: We were spared a hurricane this year, but a warming ocean is heading into the El Nino phase, which brings stronger storms. Much greater media coverage this year has set the stage for a real public dialogue about sea level rise.
- Keystone XL Pipeline: In limbo. The good news is that Sen. Nelson has reversed his previous support and voted NO for the first time. Representatives for Pres. Obama avoid discussing the issue. Several entities are actively blocking the project, such as property owners in Nebraska, and these delays make the pipeline less and less probable.
- EPA Hearing on Oil Drilling Wastewater near Naples: we’re winning!