On Saturday the 12th of April, 350 Pacific Climate Warriors across the region will perform, rally, and start building to mark the start of building canoes for the Pacific Warrior Campaign.
Here are some of the exciting actions planned already:
- In Vanuatu they will launch the Canoe Build Project with traditional dances, dialogue on cultural values of canoe building and inter island sailing, as well as a ceremony to allow the spirits of the High Chiefs to travel with the Pacific Warriors in their future endeavors
- In Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia, The Warriors are already underway building the canoe, supported by the village of Enipein, Kitti to learn the process of traditional canoe building from elders.
- Warriors in Tonga will perform the Tongan Sipi Tau (war dance) and work with wood carvers to begin their canoe building.
- In Tokelau they are calling on the support of the people of Atafu, who are famous for canoe building to begin their canoe building project.
- In Papua New Guinea, the Climate Warriors will walk through Port Moresby and raise public awareness about Climate Change, the role of the Pacific Climate Warriors in the region and how citizens can support the movement.
These traditional style canoes being built by the Warriors over the next few months, will be taken with them on a historic journey to Australia. In Australia, they will use the canoes to communicate their message on climate change. They will stand up peacefully but powerfully to the fossil fuel industry, in order to protect their islands in the face of climate change.
Over the last few months, 350 Pacific Climate Warriors have undergone training in leadership, climate change awareness and traditional understanding, to prepare themselves for the coming months. This Day of Action will mark the next step these courageous young people are taking to #StandUpForThePacific
While each Island is adapting the theme of the day to fit their local contexts they all share the same heart and determination – our islands, culture and oceans are too precious to lose!