Join this dynamic group working with legislators and a statewide consortium to get carbon pricing legislation passed in Oregon. The next attempt to pass this legislation will be during the 2019 session, but the time to prepare is now. Check the Events page for a schedule of when we meet.
Contact Linda Kelley for getting involved with this campaign. All are welcome!
SUMMER 2018 UPDATES
Update on a Clean Energy Bill July, 2018
Some of us were disappointed that the Clean Energy Jobs Bill didn’t pass in the 2018 session, its not surprising as it is a complex bill and 2018 had only 6 weeks in session. Here are some of the many highlights from this past year:
- The End of short session produced House Bill 4001 and Senate Bill 1507 that will provide a solid framework for further intersession work towards a final 2019 Bill.
- On February 12th Lobby Day, 500 people showed up in Salem to show support and demand action on the bill. This was apparently the largest turn out for Lobby Day to date. Oregon tribes signed onto the bill and were in Salem to show their support.
- President Courtney has been a blocking problem in past years, not bringing the bill to the floor for a vote without republican support. Lobby Day that included our 30’ “pipeline that was repurposed to say President Courtney be a climate hero may have helped!
- A bipartisan Joint Committee on Carbon Reduction co chaired by President Courtney and Speaker Kotek has convened. The first 3 meetings were 5/22/18, 6/26/18 and 7/24/18. Many of us went up to let legislators know we are watching and expecting action. You can access the meeting archives through the following link on the OLIS website.
- There will be monthly meetings from now to year end to engage shareholders and get bipartisan agreement on a bill. President Courtney is now saying “don’t show up in 2019 unless you plan on passing a carbon reduction bill.
- Money has been allocated to work on technical analysis and the Carbon Policy Office was funded as part of Department of Admin Services. There will be work on assessing carbon sequestration potential of our forests and working lands and other opportunities in a bill.
We are in excellent position to get a good bill passed in the full 2019 session for 2021 implementation.
How can you help?
- Help build business support. Any personal contacts you may have with local businesses would be helpful. You can send that information to Linda Kelley, campaign coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12,000 Oregonians signed on to support the bill last year. We will continue to come to community events and offer education about the bill. PLEASE INVITE US TO YOUR EVENT!
- Check 350 website to join us in Salem and attend committee meetings and show support.
- Let your legislators know you support them in getting the bill passed and encourage them to keep a bill that is strong and not watered down.
- Join our Cap the Gasses meetings, first and 3rd Tuesdays of the month.
- Sign up on our meeting notice list to keep you up to date with the latest progress.
Our statewide coalition coordinated by ReNew Oregon is confident that if we keep up the pressure we will definitely get a good bill passed in the full 2019 Session.
With your help, we will get this done in 2019 Session!!!
SUMMER 2018 – OTHER RELATED UPDATES & MATERIALS
Next Carbon Reduction Committee meeting in Salem – TBD.
The new bi-partisan “Joint Interim Committee on Carbon Reduction is conducting monthly meetings in Salem to develop a bill that will likely pass in the 2019 full legislative session.
It is important to have a visible and strong presence at these meetings to signal public support and pressure to pass a bill. It is also an opportunity to catch committee members after the meeting or schedule an office visit to advocate for specifics in a strong bill.
Please consider carpooling up with us for future meetings; its fun and interesting! Contact Linda at email@example.com
You can watch videos of past meetings here-May 22, 2018 and June 26, 2018:
We have contributed 80 Eugene Businesses to the 500 statewide who agree they support a Clean Energy future through legislation. We’ll continue to do business outreach through the summer, please join us!
For more information, please visit: