The announcement is very significant for the number of different Catholic orders – including Jesuits and Franciscans – uniting once again behind this issue, which is gaining growing support at all levels of the Catholic Church. The announcement comes ahead of the much talked about G7 Summit in Sicily (26-27 May) and during the first UNFCCC intersession under President Trump.
Catholics express their strong conviction for the care of our common home just in the middle of our week-long Global Divestment Mobilization, during which thousands worldwide are taking action to push cities, universities, churches, pension funds, museums and other institutions to demonstrate climate leadership by breaking their financial ties to fossil fuel companies.
WHO COMMITTED TO DIVEST?
Over 530 institutions globally, representing over $3.4 trillion in funds under management, have committed to divest. They include institutions such as the World Council of Churches, the Lutheran World Federation, the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, and many academic institutions such as Stanford University and Oxford University.
Below are the Catholic institutions that have committed to divest either fully or partially:
- Georgetown University – USA
- Franciscan Sisters of Mary – USA
- University of Dayton – USA
- Trocaire – Ireland
- Sisters of Loretto – USA
- CCFD-Terre Solidaire (Catholic Committe Against Hunger and for Development) – France
- Catherine Donnelly Foundation (Sisters of Service) – Canada
- The Passionists – Holy Spirit Province Australia, NZ, PNG and Vietnam
- Presentation Sisters Wagga Wagga – Australia
- Presentation Congregation Queensland – Australia
- Marist Sisters – Australia
- The Jesuits in English Canada
- Federation of Christian Organisations for the International Voluntary Service (FOCSIV) – Italy
- Presentation Society of Australia and Papua New Guinea
- SSM Health – United States
- Diocese of the Holy Spirit of Umuarama in Paraná – Brazil
- Missionary Society of St. Columban – International
- Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco – Daughters of Mary Help of Christians in Milan and Naples – Italy
- The Mission Congregation of the Servants of the Holy Spirit (Global, General Curia)
- The Diocese of Pescara (Italy)
- Il Dialogo (Italy)
- The Italian Jesuits (Italy)
- Rete Interdiocesana Nuovi Stili di Vita (Italy)
- Siloe Monastic Community (Italy)
- MGR Foundation (USA)
- The Wheaton Franciscan Sisters, Daughters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (USA)
- St Joseph’s Province of the Congregation of the Passion – English Province of the Passionists (UK)
Refer to the Global Catholic Climate Movement website for more information.